Wednesday, October 12, 2011

All is Right in Computer Land

Well, thanks to the handy Apple guys here in Rome I officially have a working computer. Granted, I do not have anything on my old hard drive, but I am so thankful to have my computer back. Plus, I got an operating system upgrade with the hard drive which makes it even better!

This means....picture time! Thankfully, all my Rome pictures were still on my cameras, so I did not lose those photos.

Side note, I also am now a big fan of Openoffice.org. This is a free word processor that is really similar to Word. Of course, the best part about it is that it is free! Which is awesome because Microsoft Office for Mac is crazy expensive in Italy. I highly recommend you checking this out the next time you are in need of something like this!

Back to pictures. Here are a couple more sights I have visited in Rome!

The Trevi Fountain!
Now, I know you cannot really see it, but there are always hundreds of tourists around it. I am gonna get a better picture when there are not as many people, and of course I have to throw a coin in it so I can be assured I will return to Rome one day.

The Pantheon
This building is amazing. It is almost 2,000 years old and sits in the middle of this lovely square in the center of Rome. The dome on top is open (actually now it has a glass covering) and the way it is built the sun shines through it and you can tell what time of day it is. Like most churches or basilicas in Rome, you need to have your shoulders covered to enter. Another cool thing about the Pantheon is it is free!


Inside the Colosseum
I may walk by the outside of the Colosseo every day, but I have only been inside once. It really is quite extraordinary. I went in on a free day, so I did not take a tour, but hopefully I will do that soon. The Colosseo was built in the 1st Century AD. It was the sight of everything from Gladiator fights to naval battle reenactments. 

Speaking of reenactments....Here are a few shots of some of the reenactors that set up camp in the park across from my apartment. The whole scene to me was a perfect example of what Rome is....the juxtaposition of the old and the new.




Before Jess left we also walked to Villa Borghese which is at the end of Piazza Popolo. From there, you can see a beautiful view of the Roman skyline including the dome of St. Peter's Basilica. 


Rome really is quite an amazing city!

No comments:

Post a Comment