Thursday, November 24, 2011

Birthdays and Thankfulness

I turned 26 this past week. Boy do I feel far behind in life considering I am living in Rome, and I am a nanny. I am sure my parents love seeing the money they spent on my college education going so far. Who would have thought I would celebrate my 26th birthday in Rome? Not me! I am not even remotely close to where I thought I would be at 26, but I have learned to never expect your life to go a certain way. God's plan is certainly better than my own, and for that, I am quite thankful.

That brings me to Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving!

This Thanksgiving I am thankful for many things...
1. My family back home whom I love and miss!
2. My friends back home whom I love and miss!
3. My Italian family who have shown me so many new things, and who have graciously invited me to be a part of their family for a year.
4. My new friends here in Rome. I am so blessed to have met each of you, and am so thankful for you!
5. Rome and all it has shown me.
6. Italian food
7. Italian wine
8. The opportunity to learn a new language and culture.
9. Oatmeal and peanut butter (thanks Mom and Dad and Kelly and LK!)
10. Cornbread dressing even in Italy (thank you polenta)
11. My Kindle, I could not survive this year without it. 6 books down, many more to go!
12. Getting to listen to Christmas music as I stroll through Rome. Tis's the season already here in Rome, and I love seeing the decorations and lights!
13. Skype
14. Leggings, why have I not been wearing these my whole life?
15. Eating two Thanksgiving dinners even in Rome!

Most of all I am ever so thankful for Jesus. Thanksgiving is a day we remember how God provided for the physical needs of the pilgrims after they arrived in America, but I think we have so much more to be thankful for beyond God meeting our physical needs. Today at Thanksgiving dinner with many of the friends I have met here, we had Communion. I have never done that before at Thanksgiving, but I think it is so appropriate. After all, the Lord's Supper is supposed to be a time of remembrance for believers. We are supposed to stop and reflect on Christ sacrifice for us. What better time to do that then at Thanksgiving?! And so, I am thankful for what Christ has done for us. I am thankful for His life, and I am even more thankful for His death and resurrection. I am thankful that He gives us grace, because without it I would be ever so lost. Living in a country that is lost sometimes it is easy to get discouraged, but today I was reminded that God is still working even here, and so I am thankful!

Happy Thanksgiving!! 

2 comments:

  1. Well said! Thankful for you and so excited for the amazing adventure God has given you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to do a new blog post - I'm sure you have a lot to update on like Christmas Italian style and your trip to Florence.

    ReplyDelete